It was not one of those usual days. Though there hadn’t been any particular reason why I should feel extraordinarily jubilant, I was elated, and it felt that my heart was gonna explode. Perhaps things weren’t as bad as they used to be and there was a rift of hope lingering in the air.
But then, I have sort of always had this 10 bitter truths about adult life at the back of my mind that constantly reminded me of what my adult life may bring about when you expect something too extraordinary from it:
- Complete honesty is a complete lie.
- You are sacred only to those who have nothing to lose having you.
- Money is more integral to happiness than romantic quixotes
- Every human being is a contradiction. Some hide it better than others.
- Never underestimate people’s ability to act contrary to their own best interests
- Wait not for the fear of being caught. Most of us would behave like savages.
- Everything has consequences. Most of them dire.
- The older you get, the faster time flies – until months pass like days.
- There’s no such thing as living happily ever after. Everything just gets worse.
- Expect anything. Just be prepared for the worst at times. Remember what Seth Godin asserts: “Hope is fuel, it moves us forward and it amplifies our best work. Expectation is the killer of joy, the shortest route to disappointment. When we expect that something will happen, we can’t help but be let down…”
I HOPE that you have a great day!